Manager, Digital Production and Front-end Development
We’re a focused, well-organized team that works toward clear objectives and metrics. We take a user-centered approach, and are known for embracing new ideas long before most nonprofits do. The production team includes a designer/CSS geek, a Drupal site-builder and a Convio/jQuery whiz who all want to learn new skills and do cutting-edge work. You’ll also work closely with a web application developer, two experienced project managers, a digital marketing team and content specialists. We love being in-house and having sole ownership of many projects, but also serving as an internal agency for projects initiated by other EDF teams. We get to build complex features and sites ourselves, but also work with vendors to supplement our capacity and skills. We use a variety of platforms (Drupal 6 and 7, Wordpress and Convio).
As the lead of a small, ambitious digital production team, your mission is to make sure we’re using the best tools and methods to meet EDF’s digital goals. You’ll oversee production, guide decisions on how to solve problems and execute projects, be the steward for our technical roadmap and keep the team’s skills sharp and growing. We want you to do hands-on building yourself, too, because you’d miss it if you didn’t.
- Lead the build phase of digital projects and act as the primary project manager on build-intensive projects, working closely with stakeholders across the organization.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the digital production team, ensuring that we’re using our resources well, following best practices and meeting our goals.
- Execute and continue developing our digital technology roadmap, ensuring that we’re on track to be successful for years to come.
- Mentor your team, helping them build and refine their skills in a fast-changing field.
- Build sites and features as needed, both to meet project needs and to keep your own skills fresh.
- Contribute to overall digital team planning, brainstorming and improvement.
- Extensive experience with digital projects, including leadership roles managing projects and/or staff.
- Proficiency with Drupal and Wordpress is strongly preferred, and the ability and desire to become an expert Drupal site-builder is required.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to discuss projects with colleagues who have little knowledge of digital production and tools.
- Experience defining and managing workflows, including using tools such as Basecamp.
- Ability to stay on top of new developments in technology and work practices, both for yourself and your team.
- Commitment to EDF’s environmental mission will make the work more interesting, but is not required.
Note: Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer