The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is seeking a Deputy Director of Design to join our growing Product & Design team. Reporting to the Director of Product and Design, the candidate will be the lead designer on a varied portfolio of projects, and will supervise a small a team of graphic, data visualization, and UI/UX designers.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Serving as lead designer as needed on large and small-scale projects such as editorial, education, and branding iniatitives. This will include contributing at each stage of the product development process; from conception to implementation, across a responsive platform
- Facilitating design communication across a multidisciplinary team throughout each phase of a project, clearly articulating design rationale
- Creating low-fidelity prototypes to quickly visualize, sketch, and communicate solutions to complex design problems
- Contributing to product design thought leadership; champion and evangelize a scalable, user-centered, data-informed, and agile design process
- Maintaining and assisting in the evolution of the CFR visual style guide, ensuring that all work adheres to brand guidelines
- Supervising and mentoring a small team of designers
- Keeping current in industry trends and seeking ways to apply new UI/UX principles
- Seven or more years of related design experience, working on cross-functional teams
- Signficant supervisory skills
- Comprehensive understanding of design principles, notably UI and UX; include sketches, flows, mid-fidelity interactions (show your process)
- Significant experience designing for online news and information or other content-rich sites
- Strong knowledge of industry standard design software (Adobe CS, Sketch, etc.)
- Familiarity with Lean UX practices a plus
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS a plus
- Result-oriented project manager, with proven ability to to meet project timelines
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in visual design, human interaction or related field
- Demonstrated interest in current events and foreign policy strongly preferred
Please include a link to an online portfolio and resume upon applying.
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America’s understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR’s 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background