Do what you love. Love why you do it. Here’s a rare opportunity to serve a digital leadership role at ALSAC, the organization responsible for raising funds and awareness for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital — the #1 hospital charity in the nation, the #1 health nonprofit brand of the year, a Top 10 nonprofit by revenue, where 95% of employees agree we’re a great place to work.
As the UX Design Manager, your team of UI developers, UX architects and digital designers will lead and evolve the user experience design function at ALSAC, playing a strategic role in aligning team structure and processes with the market needs and enterprise strategy to help fulfill our mission of connecting supporters, donors and fundraisers to St. Jude through engaging and inspiring digital experiences.
As a member of the ALSAC Digital team, you will work in an Agile development environment, providing user-centered design practices that connect our product development and digital marketing work with the users we serve, via user research, usability testing, user-centered design, and design thinking practices.
Your role as UX Design Manager involves directing the creation and iteration of user interface standards and design patterns across multiple technology platforms. You will also serve as an advocate for brand standards and help to ensure that design implementations foster a consistent brand identity, as well as user experience across all digital touch points.
We are looking for people who are skilled in the full spectrum of user experience who will:
· Manage the digital designers, UI developers and UX architects responsible for building and maintaining digital products and applications, including coaching, counseling, and writing performance appraisals of assigned staff.
· Assist the Senior Director, User Experience in leading the vision, strategy, and execution of the user experience design. Promote user-centered design, employ design thinking principles, and ensure usability considerations are at the forefront of product decisions.
· Advocate a vision for new digital products to meet the needs of our users. Works closely with Product Managers and Senior Management to align the product development strategy with user needs, brand positioning, revenue goals, and team resources.
· Partner with UX Architects, Content Strategists, and other members of the Digital group to manage and employ user research, applying usability findings into the design process.
· Provide leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of user interface design, visual design, user experience best practices, user research, information architecture, and online user behavior.
· Create and foster a creative, positive, efficient and collaborative team working environment.
· Possess the ability to interface at all levels of business, understand business objectives, and drive results. Build strong working relationships with direct reports, business partners and with senior leadership. Provide leadership and mentoring to employees in your reporting chain, utilizing best practices.
· Play a lead role in facilitating collaborative, cross-functional user-centered design workshops (including current state reviews, co-design workshops, post mortem reviews, etc.), and instructing/mentoring other members of the UX Design team as workshop facilitators.
· Lead the effort to develop and maintain design systems, UI pattern libraries and digital style guidelines.
· Advocate for evidence-based design that balances user needs with business objectives.
· Works with partners in marketing and business development to seamlessly communicate the brand mission, voice and benefits across all communications channels.
· Acts as a coordinator between technical and non-technical teams to help maintain a high quality of user experience and visual presentation.
· Is able to pitch in as a working manager as needed, contributing functions such as building prototypes to rapidly evaluate and validate designs, etc.
Qualities we expect you to possess and cultivate:
· People First: You’re a breath of fresh air. You are widely trusted and seen as a direct and truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner. You deal effectively with diverse work styles, races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, ages and gender.
· Strategic: You understand that users are central to the effectiveness of a digital experience, and you help connect the work we do with meeting both users’ and business needs. You are forward thinking, and communicate a compelling and inspired vision, talking beyond today.
· Innovative: You translate ideas that create value by using inquiry, observation, and research-based creativity. You’re open to experimenting while continually evaluating and course correcting. You challenge the status quo and seek continuous improvement. You can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t.
· Collaborative: You gain trust quickly and work together with others in a discussion-based, supportive and inclusive manner. You can negotiate skillfully in tough situations, can find common ground and elicit cooperation, and when necessary are willing to disagree and commit, respecting the opinions and expertise of others.
· High Performing: You have a mission-driven mindset to consistently deliver with excellence. You keep our donors’ and users’ state in mind at all times. You are sought out by others for advice and solutions, and can be counted on to exceed goals successfully, steadfastly striving for results.
We’re looking for someone with talent and a passion for strategic leadership, including the following experience:
· Knowledge ordinarily acquired through attainment of a Bachelor’s Degree and 7-10 years of hands-on digital design experience, with an emphasis in user interface design and front-end development
· Experience working on an enterprise Agile scrum team
· Experience with user research including activities such as online surveys, usability testing, focus groups, user observation and field research
· Experience in design thinking and/or user-centered design principles and practices. Comfortable leading collaborative design thinking sessions with contributors from multiple disciplines
· Requires knowledge of new digital technologies and the ability to interact and extensively communicate with the technical team to conceptualize, design, lead or assist in the development of new digital products and applications; requires hands-on visual/art design capabilities and prototyping experience.
· Experience developing and working within brand and visual style guidelines.
· Experience in creative review and critique, and ability to clearly articulate design principles and give constructive assessments, as well as lead the UX Design team in developing these soft skills.
· Ability to interact well with Digital team members, fundraising business partners, and with senior leadership. Excellent project management skills and excellent written and verbal communications skills.
· Experience and comfort presenting and defending creative concepts and digital products to business partners, management and senior executives
We’re dedicated to ensuring that children and their families have every opportunity to enjoy life’s special moments. In that spirit, we’re also committed to giving our staff excellent benefits so that they can do the same:
· Company-paid medical, dental and vision care insurance
· Vacation time, paid holidays, sick leave and bonus days off
· 401(k) savings plan with employer match
· Leadership and professional development opportunities
· Short-term and long-term disability
· Dependent care flexibility spending account
· On-site fitness center
· Casual dress code
· 25¢ snacks and beverage vending machines
· World-class cafeteria — plus Memphis-area food trucks
· Summer farmers’ market
· Relocation assistance
· 401(k) savings plan w/employer match · Leadership and professional development opportunities · On-site fitness center · Casual dress code · 25¢ snacks/beverage vending machines · World-class cafeteria — plus Memphis-area food trucks · Summer farmers’ market · Relocation assistance