Transcriptic is the programmable robotic cloud laboratory for the life sciences. We design, build, own, and operate automated molecular biology infrastructure to empower scientists to perform experiments remotely. We bring “cloud computing” to experimental biology to enable labless biotech, rapid drug discovery, and frictionless production-scale workflows. We care deeply about science and work to advance scientific access and capability.
At Transcriptic, individuals are empowered to think creatively to solve problems and answer hard questions with well researched data. We work in a collaborative environment where everyone is encouraged to do their best work supported by a team of peers.
Transcriptic is looking for a Backend Software Engineer interested in solving interesting technical problems. We’re looking for engineers to help us manage, maintain, and debug our production systems.
The Transcriptic Platform is a complex system with many moving parts, and even minor issues have the potential to become big problems given the time critical nature of the biological protocols we’re running.
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- BS in CS or Math or a STEM degree. BS in Physics or Math with a minor in CS (Top 10 universities for CS is a plus)
- Familiarity with cloud services, primarily AWS
- Fluency in Linux, especially at the command line
- Familiarity with low level computing including networking, file systems, sockets, threads, etc
- Experience implementing and working with distributed systems
- Fluency in at least one of the following programming language, e.g. Scala, Java, C/C++, Python, Ruby
- Experience working with diverse teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; the capability to take on a high-level mission and translate it into action with minimal guidance
- Willingness to travel to partner sites when needed (should be no more than 20%)
- Basic social aptitudes and graces
Nice to Have:
- MS in CS or Math
- Design systems and deploy code throughout the stack, from the API to hardware
- Engineer reliable communication protocols, extend internal tools, and automate our testing infrastructure
- Develop and test our robotics software infrastructure
- Expand and scale up our capabilities for modeling, scheduling, and dispatching tasks to our labs’ devices
- Help ensure that the protocols we run are robust, traceable and reproducible
- Work closely with our biologists to integrate new tools and features
What We Offer:
- A challenging environment that will give you the opportunity to grow and improve
- Opportunities to learn new technologies and fields, along with the freedom to work on hard technology and real science
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Untracked vacation time. Our employees take time off as needed
- 100% covered health, dental, and vision insurance for you, and subsidized coverage for your family
- Paid transit to the office. This may include a CalTrain pass from your starting zone to Redwood City, and an Uber from Redwood City stop to the office (and back)
- Free membership to a gym of your choice
- Delivered lunch, catered dinner, and unlimited snacks
Transcriptic is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.