Manager of IT Services and Support – IT Senior Associate, Level 1-3 (Provisional) – School of Journalism
Job ID: 18629
Closing Date: July 3, 2018
The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism is the only publicly supported graduate journalism school in the Northeast. Opened in September 2006, the school offers three Master of Arts degrees. The Master of Arts in Journalism is a 16-month program with a unique paid summer internship, the Master of Arts in Entrepreneurial Journalism follows the regular curriculum with an extra semester focusing on innovation in the news business, and the 16-month Master of Arts in Social Journalism recasts the profession as a service to engage communities.
The school also features a Master of Arts in Journalism with a unique Spanish-language component and a 15-week Advanced Certificate in Entrepreneurial Journalism for working journalists and media professionals.
Students are taught by veteran reporters and editors and learn by doing in the media capital of the world. The required paid summer internship gives Master of Arts in Journalism students a head start when they look for jobs.
The Manager of IT Services and Support, under general direction of the Assistant Director of Technology and with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, oversees the laptop and desktop computing infrastructure, school learning environments (classrooms, newsroom, etc.) and other specialized information technology solutions. S/he ensures the timely delivery of technical services that meet customer and service standards. The incumbent is the lead person for the coordination and effective implementation of IT services and management of support team. The incumbent will also contribute to decision of IT policies and technical standards.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates efforts with Central Office Information Systems, as well as CUNY Journalism database administrators, Network infrastructure personnel, Web, A/V, and Broadcast teams when necessary;
- Develops and ensures security procedures for computer software and data;
- Diagnoses, evaluates, and resolves complex problems in areas of expertise, communicating resolutions in an effective manner and instructs others on implementation. Provides timely and effective service which includes, but is not limited to, responding and curating service tickets;
- Interacts with vendors as necessary to ensure proper support of software and equipment;
- Maintains standards for safety and for the proper use of equipment and tools;
- Oversees, trains, and evaluates IT Support and Services staff and ensures maximum use of their experience and skills. Trains and provides feedback regularly on technical and customer service issues. Implements performance standards, procedures, and efficient methods of work within the IT Services and Support team. Establishes performance goals for staff. Provides instruction on technical issues and develops and maintains training materials for new and existing staff;
- Plans and organizes studies on the effectiveness of policies, programs, and procedures;
- Prepares and delivers complex operations reports concerning overall plans, activities, performance levels, and budgetary compliance of the IT Services and Support team;
- Prepares and reviews budget requests to meet the Department and College needs. Develops programs for cooperative planning, allocation and consolidation of resources;
- Responsible for the planning, analysis, implementation and maintenance of systems, including contingency and capacity planning and quality assurance. Prepares and/or reviews hardware, software and telecommunications project related feasibility studies and specifications, and new proposals and their evaluations;
- Reviews bid specifications, solicits and evaluates bids. Coordinates the implementation of selected large contracts, monitors contract compliance and provides recommendations on contract renewal;
- Studies active and potential problems and develops appropriate solutions. Determines and communicates any needed training to management.
- Works cooperatively with the college community to develop strategic and tactical plans to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of IT support and services. Coordinates, develops, and implements project plans to deliver these services. Maintains open communication with other technology teams and planning committees to assure efficient processes are implemented and coordinates projects with overlapping responsibilities;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY’s Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/office…;
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate’s degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver’s license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
The Manager of IT Services and Support demonstrates mastery of hardware and applications support, has an understanding of PBX and telephone exchanges, can articulate key requirements to peer areas: Network Services and Web Services. Must have strong decision-making ability in situations related to these disciplines, and serves as a resource person in these disciplines. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Work is performed primarily in an office setting. Work pressures, disturbances of workflow, and/or irregularities are expected and occur on a regular basis. Incumbent is continuously faced with a number of projects considered to be high priority. Project work must continue while assuring that day-to-day operations continue and technical problems are resolved. Technological changes require continuing skill level upgrades via trade journals, Internet-based communication, and course work. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. This position is on-call to support software problems. A modest degree of physical exertion is required, including moving computers and lifting systems above one’s head; however, prolonged periods of sitting or standing may occur.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Please apply using the link below:
Click on “Apply Now” below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
2. Go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 18629.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.