Kaleidoscope is the Midwest’s premier strategic innovation and product design firm. We create products and experiences that improve lives by leveraging our expertise at the intersection of consumer insights, technology and health and wellness. We call this Purpose Driven Innovation.™ Located in Cincinnati near one of the country’s top design schools and medical research institutions, The University of Cincinnati, you’ll find that our diverse city has a lot to offer everyone – from Gen Z, to growing families to empty-nesters.
Collaboration, authenticity and creation are at the core of our fast-paced culture where we celebrate design excellence. In fact, Kaleidoscope is consistently chosen as a finalist and winner for the Cincinnati Business Courier’s Best Places to Work. Our strong sense of mentorship for new talent and professional development creates an environment where careers thrive.
The Staff Industrial Designer develops creative and applicable design solutions for our consumer, industrial, healthcare and med-tech clients. This designer provides a 360-degree view of client projects including: user needs advocate, human factors expertise/methodologies for usability testing (with R&I team), regulatory requirements, manufacturing and brand assets/aesthetics, all culminating into a comprehensive functional and manufacturable solution.
- Discern critical design factors important to assigned projects and be able to logically defend trade-offs (ergonomics, manufacturability, aesthetics, etc.)
- Identify the most technically challenging problems and create strategic & tactical solution
- Effectively and efficiently develop design deliverables, as needed: 2D digital sketching, simple low-fidelity prototypes, advanced 3D printed prototypes to engineering-ready SolidWorks CAD
- Works collaboratively and seeks out other disciplines to optimize design solutions while being seen as an ID advocate and voice for Industrial Design in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Partner with Research & Insights team as needed on research, brainstorming, user inputs and usability testing
- Participate in the presentation of design concepts and prototypes to internal and client stakeholders, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related field, required
- 3+ years of professional experience in innovation/product development in a medical device setting, required
- Working knowledge of FDA content necessary for medical device pre-market submission (IEC 60601 standards) including an understanding of how to apply the principles within ISO 14971 risk management for medical devices, a plus
- Exceptional portfolio demonstrating user-centered design principles expertise and principles for design manufacturing