Today’s companies are experiencing unprecedented digital growth as digital-physical systems, powered by Internet of Things and fuelled by data, create a fully interconnected society. Increasing customer demands require companies to create a seamless experience across all channels. It’s an increasingly complex, digitized, fast-changing and interconnected world and as part of the Digital practice, you’ll help leading companies across industries strategize and execute on their future vision and experience.
EY Portland Studio is a mid-sized studio focused on strategic digital design within EY’s national advisory group. Located in a former glass factory in Portland, Oregon, EY Portland’s studio model allows you to collaborate closely with a supportive cross-functional team of strategists, designers, writers, and technologists, who are all passionate about how cutting-edge tech and design can achieve our clients’ business goals. EY’s diverse client roster includes many of the world’s biggest companies. In 2017, Fortune magazine ranked EY 29th in its annual “100 Best Companies to Work For” list.
The EY Portland Studio is seeking a skilled, hands-on Research Director to establish the
framework for how the research team engages, conducts, and executes user experience research on client projects. In addition to setting the tone for research inside the studio, you will be responsible for managing a small research team and representing the research discipline to clients. We’ll look to you to mentor researchers in user experience research methods and grow the team. Our ideal candidate will have a robust understanding of qualitative user research methods as they apply to digital products, experience managing a small research team, and the ability to strengthen client/stakeholder relationships through research.
Your key responsibilities
You will evolve and implement a research practice that supports studio and client goals. This includes creating and pitching research proposals and estimates for clients, finding new business development opportunities for research projects, and cultivating the research team’s presence by providing strategic research direction on client projects. You will work closely with department leads, stakeholders, researchers, and designers to execute client work while educating them on research best practices. Additional responsibilities include;
Managing the research team
• Manage, delegate, and oversee the research team’s resourcing and projects
• Empower and mentor the research team to grow skill sets and to creatively solve research challenges. Ensure the research team is learning and utilizing new UX research techniques and emerging research tools
• Review research team’s deliverables to ensure the utmost quality but also conduct research of your own
Conducting UX/design research
• Be an expert in conducting qualitative user experience research methods (moderated, remote, and remote unmoderated): stakeholder interviews, user interviews, ethnographic studies, contextual inquiry, participatory design, concept testing, and usability testing (surveys, diary studies, card sorting, tree-testing, focus groups, and stakeholder workshop facilitation are a plus)
• Create screeners and work with vendors/partners to schedule participants
• Communicate research activities to client (sharing schedules, research plans, and findings throughout the research process)
Skills and attributes for success
To qualify for the role, you must have
• BA/BS degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Psychology, Social Science, Anthropology, or a related field (MA/MS or higher is a plus)
• 10 or more years of work experience in qualitative user experience research ideally in a digital product development setting (quantitative user experience research is a plus)