The universe of openly licensed content is massive and growing, and we want to light it up — make it more discoverable, usable, and connected. This is the opportunity: to build products and services — both standalone and within our partner platforms — that will bring the commons to life with greater use, re-use, and contribution. Our primary product is CC Search.
There is no “front door” to the commons, and with over 1.4 billion works on over 9 million websites, the tools people need to curate, share, and remix works aren’t yet available. We launched CC Search in 2017, indexing about 1 percent of the commons, and a focus on images as a first media type. Today, CC’s dev capacity includes a four person tech team, who collaborate with our Director of Product and Research. The product is supported by multiple multi-year grants.
This project will unite hundreds of millions of records for works and metadata, multiple platforms, diverse media types, and a variety of user communities and partners. It’s a difficult but rewarding problem for an inspired and creative leader. We want to build this product as part of an open community, and create something useful, delightful, and essential to the work of creators, educators, scientists, cultural institutions, and our partners.
The Director of Engineering is part of the Tools and Product team, and reports to the CEO. You will lead the technical design, development and implementation of CC’s products and services. This is a rare opportunity to lead within an organization that is fundamental to sharing online, operating at a global scale. The successful candidate will lead a technical team to meet the needs of this vital organization, and to build a more vibrant, usable global commons, powered by collaboration and gratitude.
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are encouraged and very welcome.
The Director of Engineering leads the technology team to:
- Develop, lead and implement an ambitious technical development strategy that is informed by, and aligned with, CC’s product strategy to bring CC Search and other relevant services to lift
- Manage and motivate our team of developers and designers to build innovative, robust software both for CC use and for public release
- Work in the open and ship often, in public repositories, open chat rooms, public wikis and a global community
- Work with the CEO, Director of Product and Research, and Director of Development (Fundraising) to seek funding for CC’s various technical projects
- Represent the organization and provide technical leadership within various open communities and with CC partners. Coordinate with other outside communities, companies, and institutions to further Creative Commons’ mission, for example: W3C, non-profit communities like EFF, Open Knowledge, and Wikipedians, and the open data, open access, library, and open education communities
Qualifications and requirements
- Proven team and engineering leadership, and an entrepreneurial spirit: a collaborative, motivated self-starter
- Demonstrated experience building and deploying large scale web services; experience on mobile is a plus; you’ve led teams before and know how to keep your eye on the big picture, while shipping incrementally and frequently
- Ability to identify and scope user requirements and develop specifications
- Excellent management, written, and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with content licensing including Free/Open licenses a plus
- Familiarity with consumer privacy
- Fluent in one of Spanish, Arabic, or French (in addition to English) a plus
- Desire to work in a diverse, global, highly collaborative team environment
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are very welcome. Creative Commons works as part of a global community, guided by collaboratively developed codes of conduct and anti-harassment policies.
Work Environment and Location
Creative Commons is a distributed organization. This position is available to applicants working in the range of the Eastern to Pacific time zones, in a remote working environment. You must have reasonable mobility for necessary travel, including twice-annual all-staff meetings and the Global Summit, and high-speed broadband access. Laptop/desktop computer and necessary resources are supplied.
Salary and Benefits
Creative Commons is a leading non-profit employer, offering competitive salaries and benefits, including health and wellness plans, annual retirement contributions, and a positive, supportive work environment. The salary range for this position is $110,000 to $140,000 USD, commensurate with relevant skills and experience.
Please email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject heading of “Director of Engineering / [Last Name].” No phone calls, please.