Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We specialize in bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, in addition to outreach and education programs.
This web developer will be responsible for creating and maintaining websites (both standard and CMS) and other interactive web products. Websites may include web-map elements, and should be mobile-optimized, accessible, and localizable. Candidates should be committed to continual learning of new tools and methods; Alta will support ongoing training and professional development. We are looking to fill this position in our Portland office, but we are open to discussing other locations with the right candidate.
RESPONSIBILITIES + TASKS
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with graphic designers to create and develop responsive websites from project specifications, design guidelines, sitemaps, wireframes, and website mockups.
- Integrate geospatial data that was developed by Alta’s GIS team using ESRI products into websites
- Coordinating with internal and external stakeholders including developing budgets, timelines, and appropriately planning resources to ensure timely and appropriately secure project deliverables.
- Excellent communication and project management skills. Ability to explain the web development process to non-technical/technical colleagues and clients, and walk them through the decision making and scoping process.
This position requires a combination of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- 3+ years of professional front-end development experience.
- Strong understanding of modern web development principles (grids, responsive design, progressive web applications) and/or frameworks
- Ability to develop & consume RESTful services for dynamic sites and web mapping.
- Ability to convert geospatial data from different sources (e.g. Shapefiles to GeoJSON) as well as comfortable working with web mapping frameworks (Google Maps API, Leaflet, Mapbox, or others)
- Ability to work with graphic designers to convert designs into functioning websites, including basic Photoshop/Illustrator skills
- Strong proficiency in at least one CMS technology (e.g. Wordpress/Drupal) with the ability to manage setup and hosting, develop dynamic templates and custom themes, and maintenance on updates and load times
- Ability to program in one or more server-side languages (Nodejs, Go, PHP, Ruby, Python etc) with the desire to learn more as needed
- Experience with setting up websites on various web-hosting providers (DreamHost, MediaTemple, GoDaddy), basic server maintenance and troubleshooting, and domain renewals/transfers/certification
- Awareness of accessibility issues and guidelines, and commitment to making ADA compliant websites/apps
- Keep up-to-date with current and emerging web technologies.
PREFERRED SKILLS + CERTIFICATIONS
There are a number of additional skills and experience that would be beneficial to this position (but not required) including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency with a full stack framework (Ruby on Rails, Django, CakePHP, Laravel etc) a strong plus
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack, Parcel, Gulp, or Grunt.
- Proficiency with a SQL based database (MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite)
- Experience with billable-hours work as freelancer/consultant
- Experience as an in-house web developer
- Enthusiasm about Alta’s mission to create active communities
To apply, please upload a resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you’d be a good fit at Alta. Please include a link to a portfolio website, GitHub account, and/or other repository of coding samples in your application materials. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta Planning + Design is a proud and committed Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law.
Alta offers a traditional benefits package including medical/dental/vision (Alta contributes 75% towards your coverage). Alta also has a PTO benefit starting at 21 days per year. Some unique benefits include wellness, transit, and bike repair reimbursements, 5-year anniversary travel award, and flexible work schedules!