We are seeking a Web Applications Developer to play key role in facilitating an effective online customer journey for guests seeking to purchase tickets, tours, memberships, field trips, and more for a world-class aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum in Golden Gate Park. As we prepare to transition to a new Point of Sale, CRM systems and eCommerce platform, the Web Applications Developer will be instrumental in helping to successfully implement the newly redesigned eCommerce experience. The Web Applications Developer will report to the Business Systems Manager in the Information Technology Division, and will collaborate with a cross-functional team of developers, designers and business stakeholders to design, develop, implement and sustain custom solutions that leverage ticketing and CRM to meet business needs for internal and external partners. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the Academy’s mission to explore, explain and sustain the natural world by enabling online transactions that will allow guests to discover world-class exhibits and experiences.
The California Academy of Sciences welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to explore, explain, and sustain life on Earth. We place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of our recruiting efforts and strive to build a culture centered on mutual respect, equal treatment, and the opportunity to succeed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Support the development, integration and the upkeep of the Academy’s eCommerce solutions to create an effective ticket purchase experience, leveraging API of the Academy’s ticketing and CRM system (i.e. Tessitura).
- Develop, sustain and support integrations leveraging APIs for other e-commerce related functions including CRM integration with our email marketing platform (i.e. Maropost).
- Backend development using object-oriented back-end programming languages such as PHP, C# and Java. PHP will be the primary language needed for server-side Drupal customizations. C# or Java would be the preferred language used to develop API integrations.
- Cooperative and cross-functional development with an external agency and the Academy’s Marketing Web Team
- Front-end development and server-side customization using Drupal or other cross-platform CMS.
- Working and deploying within GIT managed projects
- Leverage ticketing and CRM APIs to develop internal and external custom solutions to meet business needs
- Collaboration with creative team, and custom web development from wireframes, designs, redlines, or style guides ·
- Support Business Applications team in day to day support of ticketing operations.
- Create visual enhancements that align with an existing web UX/UI.
- Demonstrate understanding of how to apply OWASP security principles
- Generate relevant technical documentation
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A qualified candidate will have a combination of the following experience and/or equivalent education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or relative work experience
- A minimum of 2 years web and/or application development and experience of integrating web assets with services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
o Google Analytics and Tag Manager
o Payment Express or other payment processing engines
o Microsoft Technologies
o Maropost or other email marketing platforms
- Application Development Skills: Comprehensive knowledge of one or more Object Oriented Programming language (OOP) and the ability to apply OOP to develop applications for internal and public consumption via REST APIs.
- Collaboration Skills: Ability to work as part of a team or collaborate well with colleagues toward mutual goals.
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work efficiently and communicate with staff, cross-functional teams and external customers from different backgrounds, identities and experiences.
- Innovation Skills: Ability to bring new ideas, create inventive solutions and find efficiencies to transform manually or detailed processes.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 20lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 80% of the time.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at https://calacademy.snaphire.com Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.