The Community Research Institute (CRI) at the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy is seeking an experienced, senior level Java Web Developer with strong knowledge of SQL to work with other members of the CRI team on research and data projects aimed at benefiting the community. The right candidate will possess a strong work ethic, collaborative mindset, and commitment to equity. A typical day for the Web Developer at CRI might include a team brainstorming session, a client discovery meeting, problem-solving with coworkers, and of course, web development!
Since 2001, CRI has provided research and accessible data and mapping tools to support equitable community change. Our team is comprised of an experienced and multidisciplinary group of research and technology professionals with diverse backgrounds in the social sciences, public health, statistics, and the design and development of community information and visualization tools, including online data management and geographic information systems. With our combined expertise and the anchoring infrastructure of the university, CRI bridges the gap between the information community members need and the changes they want to make. Our work helps change-makers measure progress over time and ultimately maximize impact.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
· As part of a team, develops custom web solutions for university and client research and data projects.
· Shares knowledge with team members and other staff.
· Meets with clients and community members to identify needs; designs and implements plans to meet those needs.
· May be responsible for the supervision of students and/or other technology staff, depending on level of experience and skill.
· Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Education:
· Bachelors of Science in Computer Science/Computer Information Systems or related field.
· 2+ years of work experience with open source technologies and web development with Java.
· 2+ years of experience developing data driven web applications using relational and transactional databases (including connection methods like JDBC, ODBC, etc.).
· Proficient in writing/running queries and parsing the results for use in a program, with knowledge of core SQL structure, functions and procedures, triggers, sequences, etc.
· Proficient in making dynamic database driven reports.
· Proficient in interacting/programming with dynamic charting software and maps (D3.js, Google Charts, High Charts, Leaflet, etc.).
· Experienced in ETL development in Linux and Windows environments (scripts and jobs).
· Experienced in all three tiers of web development (presentation, logic, data).
· Experienced with source control and versioning systems.
· Experienced gathering requirements and scoping out projects.
· Experienced deploying and debugging in Windows and Linux environments, both server and workstations.
· Maintains the highest standards of quality and accountability.
· Strong cultural competence, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Proven track record of quality work, integrity, and professional discernment.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
· Proven professional with consulting or other client-facing experience.
· Proficiency with Knockout web framework.
· Proficiency with Java JSP and Tomcat.
· Proficiency with PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL.
· Good knowledge of at least one other programming language (Python, .Net VB or C# etc.).
· Good knowledge of strong relational database design with an understanding of normal forms.
· Experienced in Data Processing and Data Analysis in relational and transactional databases.
· Experienced executing basic database admin tasks in Oracle (11g and newer) and PostgreSQL.
· Experienced setting up and managing web servers in Linux and Windows environments (Tomcat 7 and newer, IIS 6 and newer).
· Experienced setting up and maintaining SFTP for secure and encrypted transmission of data.
· Experienced migrating development environments to newer operating systems.
· Familiarity with privacy and regulatory issues, HIPPA and FERPA regulations and compliance.
· Familiarity with GIS technologies and/or spatial functions, as well as PostGIS or other geospatial database features.
· Masters of Science in CS/CIS or related field.
Additional Information: Generous benefits package available, including GVSU retirement contribution (12% of salary, annually), four weeks paid vacation (20 days) earned at a rate of 5 days per quarter, paid holidays (8 days plus days between December 25th and New Year’s Day), medical insurance, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, staff assistance plan, staff privileges (free use of GVSU library, athletic complex, parking), worker’s compensation, tuition reduction for employee/family, adoption benefit, etc.
Salary: $59,000 - $86,800, commensurate with experience
Position Type: EAP (Executive, Administrative, Professional)
Department/Division: Community Research Institute at the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy/ College of Community and Public Service
Campus: Pew Campus, Grand Rapids: Bicycle Factory Building
How To Apply: Apply online at and select “Apply now”. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter that describes your experiences and skills relevant to this position and why you are particularly interested in working at the Community Research Institute at the Johnson Center. Candidates are also encouraged to provide samples of web development work that showcase the skills we are looking for in this position. The online application will allow you to attach documents electronically. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline Date: December 10, 2018