Additional Job Description
It’s an exciting time to join our team at The New York Times. Since launching NYT Cooking’s digital subscription business in mid-2017, we are focused on growing our audience and continuing to help millions of people decide what to cook. We are seeking a Product Designer to work closely with the team’s Design Lead to execute the vision, user experience, and visual design of the new features we’re building for both web and iOS platforms.
We are a small, cross-functional team. You will collaborate with Product, Technology, and Editorial partners to arrive at engaging, delightful solutions that help users understand the value of our product and differentiate NYT Cooking in the digital cooking space.
You will work to uncover, define, and address unmet user and business needs; raise creative ways we can motivate users to continuously invest in our product; and push our design process toward a more iterative, agile way of working. Your work will not only enrich people’s lives by making them better, more confident cooks, but also champion the notion that high-quality recipes and instruction are worth paying for.
- Support high-level product strategy, ensuring we’re asking the right questions and solving for distinct needs.
- Create documentation (e.g. user journeys, experience maps) for use by the team to build consensus and facilitate conversations.
- Take product ideas and hone them into multiple solutions and concrete approaches, then collaboratively narrow ideas and define requirements.
- Design production-ready deliverables.
- Collaborate with engineers to assure the visual quality of our output. Use browser developer tools to fine-tune user interface elements.
- Continuously think about how to build habits into our experience and drive subscription growth.
- Minimum of 4 years experience designing web / mobile consumer websites or products.
- A portfolio demonstrating best practices in cross-platform interaction design and design decisions based on usage patterns, user feedback, business needs, and an evolving competitive landscape.
- Exceptional visual and typographic sensibility, paired with an eye toward effective interfaces and extensible design systems.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams, collaborating closely with product managers and engineers.
- Experience designing editorial content and partnering with content producers.
- A shown understanding of modern HTML & CSS, and grasp of current development philosophies / methodologies for building consumer products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Comfortable working with remote teammates.
- Excellent listening skills. Gives and receives honest, thoughtful feedback.
- Adopts a growth mindset when approaching work, believing that their output can always be improved upon. Applies what he/she has learned from one project to the next.
- Can work at a range of fidelity levels, from simple sketch to pixel-perfection, and understands what level of detail an artifact should require for a given task or goal.
- Experience directing the creation of assets (photography, video, illustration, etc.).
- An interest in food / cooking and enthusiasm for The New York Times’ mission.
This position is based in New York, NY.
Applications without portfolios will not be considered. When you apply, please share samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished, final design work).
- How you identify and address a distinct user need, and iterate based on what you learn.
- Varying types of design artifacts, and your sensibility of which design exercises meet a particular purpose.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.