Quartz is looking for a product designer based in New York to join our growing design team.
As a designer at Quartz, you’ll be able to touch a wide range of our products, including QZ.com, apps, special projects, and yet-to-be-released offerings. Qualified candidates should have experience designing digital products with a focus on usability and UI design.
- Solve complex technical problems in simple, creative, and interesting ways
- Design user interfaces, systems, and flows that are simple, user-friendly, and elegant
- Prove that you can manage multiple projects at the same time and meet deadlines
- Understand the requirements of a project, communicate ideas clearly, and contribute to high-level strategic decisions
- Collaborate and draw insights from our research and analytics team
- Prove that you have a strong understanding of layouts, typography, and design systems
- Create low and high fidelity prototypes to test flows and interactions out
Why design at Quartz?
Design shapes the experience.
As a designer, you’ll have the chance to work with a talented group of engineers, product managers, and editors, who all have a passion for pushing the limitations of what editorial design can be. Our team embraces the research, prototyping, and experimental thinking that goes into the building of a great product. We take intelligent approaches to solving design problems and never settle on the first solution. Our team isn’t satisfied with the status quo of design and is always looking to improve how our readers experience and consume Quartz’s content.
Quartz is an API.
As a global news organization, we believe that our content should live and breathe wherever our readers are. For Quartz’s design team, this means that we have the opportunity to help craft and reinvent great experiences in more places. We think broadly about our products and make sure they can work across multiple platforms whenever possible. This gives our team plenty of opportunities to develop ideas and experiences for a wide variety of products across our brand.
We grow and learn as a team.
Our design team is small, so understanding each other’s projects and giving critical feedback to one another is a crucial habit for us. The only way we’ll get smarter as design thinkers is to push each other to think differently about how we approach and execute projects. We embrace the challenges that are set forth, win and fail as a team, and continue to learn from the products we ship.
Embrace the medium, and experiment with it.
As a designer at Quartz, you’ll have the opportunity to work with illustrators, videographers, animators, and writers. So how can a user interact with these mediums in unique ways? How can you elevate the project and create compelling storytelling with them? How can you create unique experiences with it on mobile?
Come work with us!
If you’re interested in the position, please send us your résumé and portfolio, and tell us a little bit about why you think you’re the best candidate for this position.
Quartz recruits talent for two salient attributes or qualities:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Quartz work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity - Quartz seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Quartz writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Quartz Media LLC is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.