Climate Central (www.climatecentral.org) is seeking a creative, detail-oriented junior/mid-level staffer to serve a trio of related roles: as web producer, as social media lead, and as point person for our email campaigns, a vital tool in our communication of climate science, impacts and solutions. The position requires prior experience in web production, social media engagement, managing multiple email lists, and email marketing. Top candidates will have a demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines, proactively solve problems and generate new ideas.
Climate Central is a respected non-advocacy, non-profit organization that works to reach large and significant audiences using a wide variety of tools. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides local TV meteorologists with data and TV-ready graphics about climate/ weather linkages for their use on-air and via social media; the program recently expanded to include local journalists and news directors through the Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Climate Central’s work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on U.S. coasts, and pioneering a new generation of online tools.
Climate Central’s highly interdisciplinary work is conducted by a team whose backgrounds include natural and social sciences, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production and other fields.
- Post new content developed by program staff on our multiple existing sites
- Assist in upcoming processes to (re)design and (re)launch existing and future sites
- Monitor comments and where appropriate direct to relevant staff for response
- Work with our Climate Matters team to distribute camera-ready graphics to our 650+ participating broadcast meteorologists and 170+ journalists
- Oversee additional email and social media campaigns from conception to delivery
- Contribute to marketing strategy employed in email and social media campaigns to increase engagement with content and increase list-serve subscribers
- Develop responsive emails in an email marketing program (often containing dynamic content) and HTML and CSS for email elements connected to the web
- Improve upon current email templates and ensure consistent branding across multiple email lists and browsers
- Conduct A/B testing to enhance email campaigns
Social Media Producer
- Under guidance of program staff, select Climate Central-originated and other content as basis for multiple daily postings to our 103,000 Twitter followers and our nearly 150,000 Facebook followers, then design and post the content
- Conceptualize and work with designer to occasionally develop novel graphics for posting
- Regularly track, report, and review activity metrics across web, email and social media accounts to identify areas of improvement
- Stay current with latest design and development trends
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years of experience
- Ability to successfully manage a range of activities across different programs
- Strong HTML and CSS skills are essential
- Well-versed in mobile responsive email coding techniques
- Experience in debugging cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility issues
- Strong eye for opportunities to automate, and abilities needed for implementation
- Familiarity tracking and digesting activity metrics
- Knowledge of digital marketing strategies, focus on email/social media a plus
- General proficiency in Photoshop; additional Adobe design programs a plus
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, deadline driven
- Familiarity with climate issues is a distinct plus
- A highly collegial attitude is essential, and a sense of humor is a plus
This position is located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, N.J. We are willing to consider telework arrangements after an initial period.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.