Product Design Lead—Zinc Learning Labs
About Zinc Learning Labs and you
Only 13% of American adults read at or above adult proficiency. That means 87% would struggle to understand this job posting. Imagine a world where even 50% could read and comprehend successfully.
We’re looking for a designer who wants to move that number to 100%.
We’re a middle and high school focused edtech startup with significant traction. We have a large, stable and growing user base. We have built a set of necessary components to transform the predominant experience of frustration with advanced reading and critical thinking into success, even love. In the next eighteen months you will help guide our efforts to assemble these components into user experiences with measurable outcomes in reading comprehension growth. You will work with a brilliant, geographically distributed, high-functioning, can-do team led by a founder with deep domain expertise who needs your help digitizing and productizing (I guess that’s actually a word) that knowledge/experience. You are an ambitious designer who wants to bring your experience with and passion for quality UX/UI to a meaningful cause—reading growth.
- Collaborate with colleagues to design digital solutions to the many learning obstacles student readers face
- Collaborate with colleagues to design interactions that better integrate Zinc for teachers and administrators
- Contribute to high-level product strategy, ensuring we’re asking the right questions and prioritizing and addressing real needs
- Work with other team members to identify and solve UX/UI concerns
- Participate in and help lead weekly user testing
- Create and present wireframes for new features
- Work with team to create and test prototypes for new features
- Design production-ready deliverables
- Collaborate with dev team on visual quality of all pages
- Address and standardize inconsistencies in current UI and visual designs
- Experience leading and delivering design for web or web/mobile applications including proficiency with Sketch and responsive design principles
- Solid understanding of HTML/CSS to allow for efficient, fast-paced interactions with remote dev team executing designs
- Experience designing and running usability and A/B user testing
- Solid user-centered design fundamentals and the ability to quickly produce high quality deliverables across the range of disciplines
- Ability to translate big picture vision into detailed product requirements and features
- Experience working with a distributed team
- Portfolio including live, shipped product work
- Edtech experience is not required but secondary-level classroom teaching experience would be a big plus
We’re New York-based. You can work remotely some days, but we mostly need you here.
Full benefits including health, dental, paid time off and 401K with company match after six months of employment
Salary commensurate with experience