Job Title: User Experience Architect/Digital Strategist
Internal Job Title: Specialist II
Department: Marketing and Communications, Digital Department
Reports To: Digital Director
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Want to put your digital strategy and design expertise to work making the world a better place? Then Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is looking for you!
CRS is seeking a high-level digital strategist who can guide the digital efforts for CRS’s brand, sub-brands and campaigns towards a unified online strategy that aligns with the agency’s goals: building awareness among our varied audiences, deepening engagement with current supporters, and raising more money to support our life-saving work overseas. If you want to work collaboratively in a team environment while making the world a better place, we’re looking for you.
Want in? You should be able to set the information architecture for sites of different sizes and levels of complexity; have an engaging, conversion-focused approach to front-end design; and have a comprehensive understanding of digital best practices and technologies, including search engine optimization, content development, content management systems, and analytics.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
You will lead internal CRS stakeholders through the discovery process; help create strategies that marry our business needs with our audiences’ needs; document requirements; and create supporting assets (audience documentation, sitemaps, content briefs, wireframes, prototypes, etc.) that get stakeholders excited and help the developers (or vendors) execute efficiently. You should be a strategic, personable, results-oriented guide who can educate stakeholders about digital strategy and best practices and drive consensus around shared goals for engaging diverse audiences online. You will be supported by developers, designers, and content developers, but should be as comfortable talking about marketing and fundraising as they are functionality and features.
- Work with internal stakeholders to identify their business goals and develop the strategies and tactics required to meet them
- Analyze existing data to guide strategy and implementation of online tactics
- Develop information architectures, page types, and wireframes
- Work with designers and developers to prescribe front-end designs that align with existing digital platforms, other outreach efforts, and the agency’s brand and content strategies
- Consult on content creation for your stakeholders, e.g., landing page content, ad copy, social media content
- Review requirements so everyone is on the same page before the build
- Own the stakeholder’s vision for the end deliverable: after QA, you’ll approve when a deliverable is it up to quality standards
- Design, build and maintain a master Sketch template of all CRS’s UX/UI contents, including typography, color, iconography, buttons, forms, responsive components, tiles, and navigation elements
- Assist in the maintenance of CRS style guides
- Participate in industry-related development groups and communities to create optimal opportunities for learning resources and knowledge sharing
- Work collaboratively in a fun team environment to generate new ideas, improved efficiencies and share knowledge
- Mentor, support, and coach colleagues to keep staff up to date on online best practices
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Accountability & Stewardship
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Strategic Mindset
- Four to six years of digital strategy, online marketing/fundraising/advocacy, or agency experience
- Strong knowledge of user experience design, including ability to create sitemaps and wireframes
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InVision, and Sketch
- Working knowledge of AfterEffect, WebFlow, Adobe XD a plus
- A working knowledge of HTML and CSS, preferably HTLM 5 and CSS 3
- Comfortable designing to a grid and mobile-first design principles
- Strong conceptualization, verbal and visual communication ability
- Ability to communicate effectively with back-end developers to convey stakeholder needs
- Experience with online tools such as Drupal, WordPress, EveryAction/NP VAN, Google Analytics, tracking software such as HotJar, CrazyEgg, etc.
- Ability to inspire and advise peers and senior colleagues on multiple teams, set and review goals, assess risks and outcomes, and analyze data
- Experience creating clear, detailed documentation of needs, requirements, and priorities
- Exposure to paid advertising, social media, email outreach best practices
- A willingness to try new tactics across all digital channels —ideas you’ve dreamed up, or something interesting you saw from another campaign
- Ability to interface with stakeholders across multiple departments with varying skillsets
- Good communication skills — you can interpret results for stakeholders, explain strategic decisions and maintain smooth relationships
- Spanish speaking a plus
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Creative services, communications, domestic outreach, charitable giving/fundraising, advocacy, overseas operations
External: Vendors and consultants
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All candidates must be eligible to work in the US at the time of application.
Internal applicants are encouraged to apply within the first 10 days of posting.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.