Reporting to the Associate Director of Digital Marketing and serving as a member of the Resource Development (RD) Marketing and Communications team, the Email Marketing Coordinator meticulously executes and helps shape email campaigns that strategically engage, cultivate, solicit, and steward MIT’s diverse constituency. Working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment, the Email Marketing Coordinator builds, tests, and sends email messages, and also assists in the creation and preparation of analytics reports, with the ultimate goal of enabling frontline development staff to maximize philanthropic investment in MIT in the context of an ambitious fundraising campaign.
- Use email marketing tools to build, test, and send emails to highly segmented audiences that effectively market events and engage MIT alumni, donors, and friends through newsletters, announcements, and other communications.
- Build, test, and edit HTML emails and templates that draw on the latest industry best practices. Format graphic files for emails as necessary.
- Gather and analyze data about email marketing efforts and campaigns, as well as data about marketing through other digital channels, and help prepare analyses and reports.
- Proactively assist in management and refinement of processes for coordinating the email marketing efforts across departments, including calendaring and marketing cadence.
- Help repurpose, edit, and proofread content from other contributors.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Resource Development and across the MIT Advancement Community to provide input on email campaigns consistent with the fundraising strategy for the MIT Campaign for a Better World and general Resource Development activities.
- Stay current with trends in email marketing and recommend new initiatives and relevant adjustments to our digital marketing processes and content.
- Develop partnerships with communications stakeholders across the MIT Advancement Community to encourage the use of best practices in email communications for all Resource Development and fundraising-related matters.
Other duties as required (10%)
- Use content management systems to help update Resource Development web properties including public-facing and internal web sites.
- Contribute to the execution of fundraising, marketing, and communications strategies and projects.
- In accordance with departmental procedures, work with content developers, designers, photographers, production managers, and proofreaders.
- As requested, represent the Marketing and Communications team in meetings with internal and external clients, including staff, alumni, and students.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the value of creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. Actively supports and engages in creating and sustaining a workplace that fosters creativity and innovation.
- Other duties as assigned to support the work of the Marketing and Communications team, Office of Communications and Events, Resource Development, and Institute leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two years of related experience in digital marketing or communications required.
- Experience creating and implementing professional digital marketing campaigns including developing strategy, crafting or editing content, and personally completing all technical elements of the process.
- Experience with email service providers, such as Watson (formerly Silverpop), iModules, Salesforce, Constant Contact, Exact Target, MailChimp, etc., and email testing tools, such as Litmus and Email on Acid.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, content management systems, such as Drupal and Wordpress, and Google Analytics.
- Experience with Mac systems, Adobe products (especially PhotoShop), and Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
- Strong planning, scheduling, and project management abilities.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team; set priorities; take initiative; work in a fast-paced environment; juggle multiple projects simultaneously; and be willing to lend a hand at all times to colleagues.
- Desire to be part of a talented and collaborative team.
- Ability to exercise tact and good judgment are essential.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work additional hours during busy periods as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Experience extracting, manipulating, and vetting data sets.
- Experience using large enterprise databases or CRM systems.
- Desire to the learn the business of resource development in higher education
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field preferred.
- Experience with G-Suite applications (Docs, Sheets, etc.) and other collaborative tools (e.g., Basecamp, Slack) preferred.
- Previous experience in a fundraising campaign for a higher education or nonprofit organization preferred.
- Experience and proficiency in writing content for email and other digital marketing efforts.
- Editing ability, including skills in proofreading and line editing.
- Ability to understand our audience, pull content from various sources, integrate the content through editing and rewriting, and present the results in a web-optimized way.
- Professional experience with social media platforms—early adopter/follower of new media trends preferred.
- Ability to use technology to gather, interpret, and organize data.
- Web design and event experience are a plus.