We’re looking for an experienced design manager to grow our people and products. Design managers at Intercom directly support product designers in delivering the best work they can while also working on high-level strategic design projects themselves. The opportunity to have impact at both of these levels is massive: you’d be joining as just the third product design manager in the whole company, so you’ll have very real ownership and potential to define the role and make your mark. At the same time, we’re not just starting out—there’s a stable and mature environment and an existing base on which you can build. All together, you’ll have the opportunity to do the best work of your life.
Intercom is a genuinely great environment for product people: two of our co-founders and our SVP of Product were previously designers, so design is a central role in the company. We’re a product-driven company and take pride in solving real customer problems and executing with high standards. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a fun, sustainable, enabling work environment along the way.
If you’re passionate about helping product designers to grow and learn while shipping high-quality product that solves real problems for customers, we’d love to hear from you! By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don’t let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing between 3 and 6 product designers and senior product designers across multiple products (depending on complexity and breadth)
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance, helping them to develop clear career development goals and action plans on how to achieve them
- Ensuring the smooth running of projects on our teams and delivery of high-quality design work so that we can continually improve how we design and build products
- Helping to shape the future vision of products and driving strategic design work in exciting areas, such as conversational design, messengers, machine learning and more
- Partnering directly with our Director of Product Design in Dublin to evolve the Product Design team: our people, our structure, our processes, our beliefs
- Collaborating with leaders across the company: other design leaders, Research, Data Analytics, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, and more
- Growing Intercom Design by recruiting and representing us publicly in ways like writing for our blog, speaking, tweeting, community building and outreach, and more
What skills do I need? 📖
- Experience managing product designers and genuinely caring about how the people who report to you perform, feel, and grow. The ability to develop a genuine relationship with people and help them grow, learn, and succeed.
- Experience designing digital products and systems. This isn’t solely a people management role—you’ll also be involved with and guide the product work. All of our managers care deeply about and actively engage in our product development process, details, and outcomes.
- A working knowledge of the full stack of product design, from systems thinking to visual design. You don’t need to be a specialist in all of these things, but you should be able to have informed, intelligent conversations.
- Ability to communicate with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Ability to envision and lead change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and design managers are a key part in driving that change. We’re looking for someone who aligns with our values, but also who makes us better.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. Passion for building product. A desire to make things better.
We’d also love to see your portfolio of design work. It should touch on the problems you solved (ideally focused on designing software products) and the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.