The Natural History Family of Museums exists at the intersection of nature and culture. Here, insights from the past inspire the discoveries of the future – and redefine what it means to be a museum. Spread across three different sites in Los Angeles County, including the Natural History Museum in Expo Park (dinosaurs and more), La Brea Tar Pits & Museum in Mid-Wilshire (active Ice Age excavation site) and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall (a piece of silent film history), we’re on track to push the limits of museum experience. We believe in changing the game, redefining how you “museum,” and inspiring wonder and discovery.
Our passionate, award-winning creative team leverages a visitor-centered approach – we’re designing for people first. Our designers and digital experts work in every medium. We collaborate across the organization (with everyone from paleontologists to party planners). We’re the champions of Museum as a verb. Using the web and new digital technologies, we are taking our museums beyond the exhibit halls, out into Los Angeles and beyond. Enough about us, we want to hear about you.
· Work independently, and in conjunction with our other designers, reporting directly to the Associate Creative Director
· Assist in developing strategies and design for experiences (events, programs and promotion of world-class exhibitions)
· Exhibit highly collaborative creativity and drive: one part team leader/one part designer, working closely with division colleagues in digital, marketing, communications, events, and guest experience
What you bring…
· Outstanding visual and typographic sensibility and technical skills
· Strong conceptual thinking and design development as you build/develop standards
· An innovation-driven mindset, constantly challenging existing processes and/or methodologies
· Excellent attention to detail and craft
· Ability to prioritize multiple mid-size projects/workstream with critical deadlines
· Animation and motion graphics skills (Adobe After Effects) and SketchUp skills are a huge plus
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote, PPT
· 4+ years of related experience
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museum and in sciences.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time regular, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.